Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Chocolate Super-bowl Cake!

Hello again! I'm posting a bit later this week just because the past couple days have been pretty hectic, but for this week's dessert I decided to make a double layer chocolate cake! And, in honor of the 2010 Super-bowl this week, I decided to design it as a football! Like last week it was a challenge to bake a multi-layer cake that didn't have any bumps or crumbs, but using the tips I picked up it became a lot easier. To make it in the shape of a football I used glass, oval cookware, so it was in the shape of a football, and then I made vanilla buttercream and chocolate frosting so I could design it as one as well. Again, I made the cakes the night before which was really important because I give them time to cool off before I frosted and layered them. It was really fun to try another multi-layered cake this week because I feel like I'm getting better at it and the whole process, so I know I'm becoming more experienced and familiar with this new challenging cake style. Incase the pictures show the cake to be bigger than what the recipe might suggest, just know that I doubled the recipe I picked out. I did this so 1:I could make plenty of cake for the residents at the shelter, and 2:so I can make two, full layers. Thankfully I ended up having some extra batter aside from the batter for the cake, so I made some cupcakes! If I may say so myself, they were pretty good and I've got to hand it to Hershey's for the great recipe they provided.

Here is the recipe for Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake and the "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting:
http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=184
And here's the recipe for the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1855,141163-236204,00.html

Here are some pictures I took of the whole process:






All in all, this week's cake was a lot of fun to make, not only because it was something new and different, but because it related to the Super-bowl game which made it more fun to make, and hopefully eat ;) In the weeks to come I'm hoping on making special a Valentine's Day treat, and maybe the week after that I can make them "hamentashen" for Purim, hopefully bringing a little Judaism into their life so they can know a bit more about me and where I come from. E-mail me if you have any suggestions or ideas of foods I can make for them! Thanks for reading and until next week, stay blissful :)

Sincerely,
The Blissful Baker


1 comment:

  1. Hey Adrienne! Your so creative its amazing!
    Keeep up the hard work the desserts are looking amazing.
    I suggest you do cinnamon rolls next!
    CAN YOU SAY YUM!?

    - Cool Cat

    ReplyDelete