Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Cheer Up Sunshine!

I'm a very lucky girl. I'm surrounded by loving, supportive, and healthy family and friends. I've been given the finest education, and I live in one of the most vibrant cities in the world. But that being said, we all have some really bad days when it feels like nothing is going right. Anything that can go wrong pretttty much does and when it feels like things can't get any worse at that moment and you're making your second trip to the apple store in under three hours -- you then find out your computer has crashed...again. 

Apparently I'm supposed to back it up a lot more often that I have (which is around once every 4 years?) You would expect me to learn my lesson after this happened for the first time a few months back, but apparently not.

- Carrie didn't know either - 


Some 15 hours later my tears have finally managed to dry up and I'm inspired to write this post because while it has been the crappiest week on earth, I also know that I am like I said, a very lucky girl. So in an attempt to not let the little things get to me, to not mourn the loss of thousands of pictures that are now swiped off my computer, and to not let this bad week turn into a bad month, I'm going to list a few things that have still cheered me up this week:

1. I have the best sister in the world - and that's not something I'm just saying, I truly believe I have the best sister out there that anyone could ever, ever ask for. She's been so helpful, attentive, and supportive all week so even if everything seems to be going terribly wrong, I'm still pretty damn lucky to have her by my side.

2. I'm currently in the works of making business cards and a website to showcase all the sweets I make, so I'm incredibly excited/nervous/over joyed.

3. A friend introduced me to Justin Timberlake's new song Mirrors which I almost immediately fell in love with and has been on replay ever since.

4. I found what is undoubtedly the best chocolate cake and chocolate buttercream frosting recipe in the world. I made chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting a few weeks back that were fine (to say the least) but a little on the dry side. So what to do? I went on a search of course! Thankfully, Pinterest led me to this Chocolate Buttercream frosting and this insane Black Magic Cake. I only made a smaller one layer 9-inch cake this past weekend to try out the recipe but I fell so in love with it I'm gonna make a larger one this upcoming weekend for PATH. I know Shanee loves chocolate cake so hopefully she'll like this one too.

5. While most of the contents of my computer are totally gone and that includes the recipe book I've been working on, I've been able to find most of my precious recipes by checking my tagged pins on Pinterest and by going through the countless emails with recipe links that I've sent to myself. At least technology has given me that!

6. The best of news: I spent this past Friday baking a cake for my first official customer! I spent all week running from store to store so I could buy supplies that have now become an investment in my business. My customer requested a triple layer red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and white fondant at a staggering 12 inch size since the cake was for a 50+ person party.

- intense and powerful red dye waiting to be mixed -

- 12 cups of the best cream cheese frosting - 


Considering the fact that this was the largest cake I'd ever bake and it was the most professional cake I'd make yet, I had several mini-freak outs throughout the day. But, after spending most of Friday on the cake it thankfully turned out beautiful and I got only the best of reviews.




And even after the worst days I'm lucky enough to still have a lot to look forward to -- this blog being one of them. I hope anyone going through a rough patch can find at least a bit of ease by thinking about all the good things going. It doesn't sound like much but you'll soon find the list to be very long and it will definitely cheer you up, similar to how it's just worked for me.

Sincerely,

The (now much more Blissful) Baker


No comments:

Post a Comment